Saturday 1 September 2018

BDCA (Burton & District) 100m TT - 1st September 2018

5th Overall & 1st Vet (O40)

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND...
Driving back from my pals in S London last week, I noticed that I hadn’t yet reached 100 miles and was nearly at Leicester, it made me think: who in their right mind would want to race 100 miles, in full aero “tuck” position as hard as possible on a TT bike....affectively Tooting to Leicester, some perspective, huh?


So 5 days later I’m on my 2nd lap of 6 on the A50 south of Derby, on my debut “100” thinking sh*t, I’ve still got over 70 miles to go and my neck was already aching and my a@se wasn’t happy too - even if my fitness was ok, psychologically I know I’m usually strong but suspected physically my body may just give way....after all, I had hardly done 50 miles before in full TT position.

Halfway was a mental fillip - met in exactly one second under 1hr 50m - but then I started to struggle, not with fatigue as such but with severe neck and back issues (I actually have a trapped nerve in my spine from an ice fall back in Jan, it usually stays quiet )....sporadically standing to stretch or freewheel in tuck, and stretch that way....but I persevered, but this was so uncomfortable , no joy here

All that discomfort predictably lost me over 2 mins in the 2nd 1/2, but still finishing with a pretty pleasing 3h 42m 20sec (a 2nd ‘50’ of 1-52-21) averaging over 27mph....immediately relaying though that one ‘100’ would be enough for a lifetime (in rather more colourful language )....but then I noticed on the results over 20% DNFs, and then it started to filter through from the diehards on what a super tough day it had been for a number of reasons but high temperatures and winds didn’t help....oh! and the 48 bloody roundabouts...I was reassured “100s” aren’t normally that hard, the question is: will I ever find out?

So....5th overall, 1st vet (O40), 1st age cat and new Sheffrec CC (completing the “full house” of every record from 5 to 100 miles) and N Mids records, but missed National Age Record by over 2 mins....not bad for a first bash, with much to learn too....including how to fuel ..........

Some 11 hours later and it’s 4am, I’m bolt upright in bed, wide awake with a cuppa, no way am I sleeping - considering perhaps those 12 energy gels and 1.5L of carb solution was a little fuelling overkill? May be I took some advice a little too extreme

Thanks again to Joe Le Sage (who actually did a sub 3-50, not as stated) for the invaluable wise words and to Alex for roadside fuel support 👍





No comments:

Post a Comment